Vice President Joe Biden attended the grand opening of Washington, D.C.'s first Costco on Thursday, proudly flashing a member's card, as well as his signature pearly whites, as he swept through the front doors. Biden's appearance at the bulk discount store fit snugly with his alter ego — a veritable cottage industry on the internet inspired by absurdist stories in The Onion — as a lovable, less-than-statesmanlike figure who just wants to have a little fun. As if to punctuate the point, Biden, finding himself in the tire department, reportedly said, "Hey man, I don't need tires. I don't drive anymore!" Here, some of the best jokes to Biden's tour of Costco:
"36 JUMBO MUFFINS?!? GOD BLESS AMERICA!!" RT @nycsouthpaw: Everybody loves this Biden CostCo trip.— pnuts mama (@pnuts_mama) November 29, 2012
Yes, I am furiously typing a FOIA request to the White House to find out how much jerky the Vice President purchased at Costco.— Justin Ellis (@JustinNXT) November 29, 2012
Maybe Biden will pick up some of the Costco shirts that Ann Romney would buy for her husband— Sam Stein (@samsteinhp) November 29, 2012
It looks like Biden ate every single free sample offered to him at Costco this morning. Pastries, cookies, something with a spoon— Karen Travers (@karentravers) November 29, 2012
Joe Biden wasn't SENT to Costco he was already there to pick up a carton of smokes and a new leather jacket.— Ryan Broderick (@ryanhatesthis) November 29, 2012
15 lb tub of malarkey RT @alinbcnews: Per pool, VP Biden is stopping by opening day of a Costco in D.C. What will he buy in bulk?— e mcmorris-santoro (@evanmc_s) November 29, 2012
Only Nixon could go to China.Only Biden could go to Costco.— Adam Beck (@AdamSBeck) November 29, 2012
But really, when Joe Biden goes to Costco, parody is impossible. @samyoungman— Ben Smith (@BuzzFeedBen) November 29, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week