Missouri Lottery officials have verified one of the two winning tickets of the record $580 million Powerball lottery jackpot, and plan to announce details in a Friday news conference. Another winning ticket was sold in Arizona, but so far nobody has stepped forward there. Residents in Dearborn, Mo. (pop. 500), where the verified ticket was sold, were desperate to find out who won. "It's so exciting," said Kristi Williams, a cashier at the convenience store where the ticket was sold. "We can't even work." The only other lottery winner in the area was a farmer who won $100,000 a few years ago and bought himself a combine.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- For the last time: Congress is not exempt from ObamaCare
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week