issouri Lottery officials have verified one of the two winning tickets of the record $580 million Powerball lottery jackpot, and plan to announce details in a Friday news conference. Another winning ticket was sold in Arizona, but so far nobody has stepped forward there. Residents in Dearborn, Mo. (pop. 500), where the verified ticket was sold, were desperate to find out who won. "It's so exciting," said Kristi Williams, a cashier at the convenience store where the ticket was sold. "We can't even work." The only other lottery winner in the area was a farmer who won $100,000 a few years ago and bought himself a combine.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week