Missouri Lottery officials have verified one of the two winning tickets of the record $580 million Powerball lottery jackpot, and plan to announce details in a Friday news conference. Another winning ticket was sold in Arizona, but so far nobody has stepped forward there. Residents in Dearborn, Mo. (pop. 500), where the verified ticket was sold, were desperate to find out who won. "It's so exciting," said Kristi Williams, a cashier at the convenience store where the ticket was sold. "We can't even work." The only other lottery winner in the area was a farmer who won $100,000 a few years ago and bought himself a combine.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week