Mark and Cindy Hill of Dearborn, Mo., claimed their share of the record $587.5 million Powerball jackpot on Friday at a press conference along with their three sons and daughter. The couple randomly chose numbers through Quick Pick and were one of two big winners in the Wednesday drawing. The other winning jackpot ticket was sold in Arizona, but the buyer has not come forward yet. The Hills won $294 million and will take a lump sum payment, which totals about $192 million before taxes. The winning numbers were 5-23-16-22-29-Powerball 6.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week