Mark and Cindy Hill of Dearborn, Mo., claimed their share of the record $587.5 million Powerball jackpot on Friday at a press conference along with their three sons and daughter. The couple randomly chose numbers through Quick Pick and were one of two big winners in the Wednesday drawing. The other winning jackpot ticket was sold in Arizona, but the buyer has not come forward yet. The Hills won $294 million and will take a lump sum payment, which totals about $192 million before taxes. The winning numbers were 5-23-16-22-29-Powerball 6.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week