The Kansas City Chiefs will play their game against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, as the team reels from the death of Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, and his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins, 22. On Saturday, Belcher allegedly shot Perkins dead at their home and then drove to the Chiefs Arrowhead Stadium and shot himself in the head in the parking lot after thanking coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli, who both witnessed the suicide. Belcher and Perkins, who have a 3-month-old daughter, reportedly had a tumultuous relationship and, police said, had been fighting in the hour leading up to the shooting. The baby is being cared for by family.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
Subscribe to the Week