he Kansas City Chiefs will play their game against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, as the team reels from the death of Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, and his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins, 22. On Saturday, Belcher allegedly shot Perkins dead at their home and then drove to the Chiefs Arrowhead Stadium and shot himself in the head in the parking lot after thanking coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli, who both witnessed the suicide. Belcher and Perkins, who have a 3-month-old daughter, reportedly had a tumultuous relationship and, police said, had been fighting in the hour leading up to the shooting. The baby is being cared for by family.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
Subscribe to the Week