The Kansas City Chiefs will play their game against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, as the team reels from the death of Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, and his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins, 22. On Saturday, Belcher allegedly shot Perkins dead at their home and then drove to the Chiefs Arrowhead Stadium and shot himself in the head in the parking lot after thanking coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli, who both witnessed the suicide. Belcher and Perkins, who have a 3-month-old daughter, reportedly had a tumultuous relationship and, police said, had been fighting in the hour leading up to the shooting. The baby is being cared for by family.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- The week's best photojournalism
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week