The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, a day after police say Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, before driving to Arrowhead Stadium and killing himself in front of the team's head coach and general manager. Coach Romeo Crennel said he consulted with the Chiefs' co-captains before deciding to go ahead with the game. The Chiefs snapped an eight-game losing streak with the 27-21 victory. "It was tough," said Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn, who threw two touchdown passes. A friend of Belcher's told Deadspin that the linebacker was "dazed" and suffered short-term memory loss after taking several hits to the head in his final game.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week