What would happen if we nuked the moon?
To move the moon out of its orbit, humanity would have to strike it with a force 1.5 million times greater than our collective nuclear arsenal
This weekend the "supermoon" that will align with earth is more scientifically known as a "perigee moon".
Shi Wei/Xinhua Press/Corbis
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week