After months of near-rabid speculation in the tabloids, St. James' Palace has finally confirmed that Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton — more stiffly known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge — are expecting their first child. The news broke Monday after Kate was taken to a hospital in Central London with symptoms of acute morning sickness, which requires supplementary hydration and nutrients. According to the couple's official website, which was down at the time this article was posted, "the Duchess was admitted this afternoon to King Edward VII Hospital in Central London with Hyperemesis Gravidarum. As the pregnancy is in its very early stages, Her Royal Highness is expected to stay in hospital for several days and will require a period of rest thereafter." William is second in line to the throne after his father, Prince Charles, which also puts William and Kate's child in the direct line of succession. And due to a recent change in the rules of succession, the couple's child will likely be the heir to the British throne whether it's a boy or a girl.
Here, some initial reactions from Twitter:
Congrats to Kate & Will on expecting your first child. The happiest day of your life to look forward to!— richardbranson (@richardbranson) December 3, 2012
An heir to the throne! Perhaps 2013 won't be all bad, after all.— Dan Stewart (@thatdanstewart) December 3, 2012
Kate Middleton is pregnant huff.to/UksXCe Based on Twitter timeline, practically nothing else is going on in the world.— Craig Kanalley (@ckanal) December 3, 2012
So the UK has a #royalbaby on the cards, who says Britain's tabloids aren't accurate? They called this one months ago...— Neal Mann (@fieldproducer) December 3, 2012
Hardly surprising Kate's feeling so sick - according to the National Enquirer, she's been pregnant since 2003. #royalbaby— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) December 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week