fter months of near-rabid speculation in the tabloids, St. James' Palace has finally confirmed that Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton — more stiffly known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge — are expecting their first child. The news broke Monday after Kate was taken to a hospital in Central London with symptoms of acute morning sickness, which requires supplementary hydration and nutrients. According to the couple's official website, which was down at the time this article was posted, "the Duchess was admitted this afternoon to King Edward VII Hospital in Central London with Hyperemesis Gravidarum. As the pregnancy is in its very early stages, Her Royal Highness is expected to stay in hospital for several days and will require a period of rest thereafter." William is second in line to the throne after his father, Prince Charles, which also puts William and Kate's child in the direct line of succession. And due to a recent change in the rules of succession, the couple's child will likely be the heir to the British throne whether it's a boy or a girl.
Here, some initial reactions from Twitter:
Congrats to Kate & Will on expecting your first child. The happiest day of your life to look forward to!— richardbranson (@richardbranson) December 3, 2012
An heir to the throne! Perhaps 2013 won't be all bad, after all.— Dan Stewart (@thatdanstewart) December 3, 2012
Kate Middleton is pregnant huff.to/UksXCe Based on Twitter timeline, practically nothing else is going on in the world.— Craig Kanalley (@ckanal) December 3, 2012
So the UK has a #royalbaby on the cards, who says Britain's tabloids aren't accurate? They called this one months ago...— Neal Mann (@fieldproducer) December 3, 2012
Hardly surprising Kate's feeling so sick - according to the National Enquirer, she's been pregnant since 2003. #royalbaby— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) December 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week