It's finally happening: Prince William and Kate Middleton are expecting their first little royal. Kate's pregnancy is a momentous occasion — and not just because of the tabloid hype. Her child will be the all-but-inevitable heir to the throne — no matter the baby's gender — following Prince William, the eldest child of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, and William's father Charles, who is the eldest child of Queen Elizabeth II. As William and Kate's devoted public watches for the growing royal baby bump, let's take a look back at royal babies from generations past:
1927: Baby Elizabeth
According to this photo, the future Queen may have always had an affinity for fancy hats. Looking regal even for 1-year-old, little Princess Elizabeth takes a ride with her cousins around the grounds of Windsor Castle. (AP Photo)
1949: Baby Charles
Striking a most serious pose, 1-year-old Prince Charles of Edinburgh sits for an informal portrait with his proud mother. (AP Photo)
1982: Baby William
Following in his father's footsteps, 6-month-old Prince William acquires a rather solemn look while posing with dad during the little heir's first public picture session at Kensington Palace. (AP Photo/David Caulkin)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week