According to local media reports, more than 40 people have been killed by a powerful typhoon that swept across the southern Philippines. Typhoon Bopha made landfall in Mindanao, bringing heavy rain and wind of up to 130 mph. Some 40,000 people were forced to evacuate. Bopha comes a year after Typhoon Washi killed more than 1,500 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- These vintage Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons offer a delightful glimpse into pop culture past
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week