According to local media reports, more than 40 people have been killed by a powerful typhoon that swept across the southern Philippines. Typhoon Bopha made landfall in Mindanao, bringing heavy rain and wind of up to 130 mph. Some 40,000 people were forced to evacuate. Bopha comes a year after Typhoon Washi killed more than 1,500 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
Subscribe to the Week