According to local media reports, more than 40 people have been killed by a powerful typhoon that swept across the southern Philippines. Typhoon Bopha made landfall in Mindanao, bringing heavy rain and wind of up to 130 mph. Some 40,000 people were forced to evacuate. Bopha comes a year after Typhoon Washi killed more than 1,500 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week