According to local media reports, more than 40 people have been killed by a powerful typhoon that swept across the southern Philippines. Typhoon Bopha made landfall in Mindanao, bringing heavy rain and wind of up to 130 mph. Some 40,000 people were forced to evacuate. Bopha comes a year after Typhoon Washi killed more than 1,500 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
Subscribe to the Week