Typhoon Bopha has killed at least 156 people on the Filipino island of Mindanao, and more fatalities are expected as rescuers reach isolated communities. Neighboring Davao Oriental province is reporting another 50 deaths from the powerful storm. Bopha is expected to head out into the South China Sea on Thursday. A year ago, Typhoon Washi killed at least 1,300 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week