Typhoon Bopha has killed at least 156 people on the Filipino island of Mindanao, and more fatalities are expected as rescuers reach isolated communities. Neighboring Davao Oriental province is reporting another 50 deaths from the powerful storm. Bopha is expected to head out into the South China Sea on Thursday. A year ago, Typhoon Washi killed at least 1,300 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week