Typhoon Bopha has killed at least 156 people on the Filipino island of Mindanao, and more fatalities are expected as rescuers reach isolated communities. Neighboring Davao Oriental province is reporting another 50 deaths from the powerful storm. Bopha is expected to head out into the South China Sea on Thursday. A year ago, Typhoon Washi killed at least 1,300 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week