Typhoon Bopha has killed at least 156 people on the Filipino island of Mindanao, and more fatalities are expected as rescuers reach isolated communities. Neighboring Davao Oriental province is reporting another 50 deaths from the powerful storm. Bopha is expected to head out into the South China Sea on Thursday. A year ago, Typhoon Washi killed at least 1,300 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
Subscribe to the Week