Typhoon Bopha has killed at least 156 people on the Filipino island of Mindanao, and more fatalities are expected as rescuers reach isolated communities. Neighboring Davao Oriental province is reporting another 50 deaths from the powerful storm. Bopha is expected to head out into the South China Sea on Thursday. A year ago, Typhoon Washi killed at least 1,300 people in the southern Philippines.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
Subscribe to the Week