“On Sunday, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, shot and killed his 22-year-old girlfriend, then himself. They left behind a baby girl, Zoey. The scientific journal Brain just published a study of 85 people who had received repeated hits to their heads and were examined posthumously for degenerative brain disease. Sixty-eight of those people had such disease, which can lead to mood swings, dementia, depression. There’s something rotten in the NFL, an obviously dysfunctional culture that brings out sad, destructive behavior in its fearsome gladiators. To be an NFL fan these days is to feel morally conflicted, even morally compromised, because you’re supporting something that corrodes too many lives.’’
Frank Bruni in The New York Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week