“On Sunday, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, shot and killed his 22-year-old girlfriend, then himself. They left behind a baby girl, Zoey. The scientific journal Brain just published a study of 85 people who had received repeated hits to their heads and were examined posthumously for degenerative brain disease. Sixty-eight of those people had such disease, which can lead to mood swings, dementia, depression. There’s something rotten in the NFL, an obviously dysfunctional culture that brings out sad, destructive behavior in its fearsome gladiators. To be an NFL fan these days is to feel morally conflicted, even morally compromised, because you’re supporting something that corrodes too many lives.’’
Frank Bruni in The New York Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- The GOP's best response to Obama's immigration move: Toothless griping
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- 10 things you need to know today: November 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week