“On Sunday, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, shot and killed his 22-year-old girlfriend, then himself. They left behind a baby girl, Zoey. The scientific journal Brain just published a study of 85 people who had received repeated hits to their heads and were examined posthumously for degenerative brain disease. Sixty-eight of those people had such disease, which can lead to mood swings, dementia, depression. There’s something rotten in the NFL, an obviously dysfunctional culture that brings out sad, destructive behavior in its fearsome gladiators. To be an NFL fan these days is to feel morally conflicted, even morally compromised, because you’re supporting something that corrodes too many lives.’’
Frank Bruni in The New York Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week