“On Sunday, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, shot and killed his 22-year-old girlfriend, then himself. They left behind a baby girl, Zoey. The scientific journal Brain just published a study of 85 people who had received repeated hits to their heads and were examined posthumously for degenerative brain disease. Sixty-eight of those people had such disease, which can lead to mood swings, dementia, depression. There’s something rotten in the NFL, an obviously dysfunctional culture that brings out sad, destructive behavior in its fearsome gladiators. To be an NFL fan these days is to feel morally conflicted, even morally compromised, because you’re supporting something that corrodes too many lives.’’
Frank Bruni in The New York Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The untold story behind The Grand Budapest Hotel's 'Boy with Apple'
Subscribe to the Week