What's this in my burrito?
An Atlanta woman claims she found a nose ring in her daughter’s McDonald’s breakfast burrito. Frances Rosario says she purchased two burritos at her local McDonald’s, one for herself and one for her 4-year-old daughter. As her daughter was about to bite into her burrito, Rosario observed a “piece of jewelry” protruding from it. “I’m like, ‘What the heck is this?’” Rosario said. It was a nose ring, apparently belonging to a food preparer. The fast-food chain hasn’t yet responded to her complaint.
Britney Spears's nervous habit
Makeup artists for The X Factor are trying everything to stop Britney Spears from biting her nails, says the National Enquirer. Spears, 31, is a compulsive nail-biter, and a source says she has been under so much stress both personally and professionally that “there’s hardly anything left to even glue a fake nail onto.” In desperation, the makeup artists have started applying a special, bitter-tasting nail polish, but acerbic co-host Simon Cowell has already predicted that Spears will soon “get used to the taste.”
German motorist bombs Breathalyzer test
A German motorist was arrested for drunk driving after he mistook a Breathalyzer for a cellphone. Arresting officers say that when they handed a slurring and visibly wobbly Bernhard Becker, 41, the breath-test device and asked him to blow into it, Becker instead tried using it to call his lawyer to ask for legal advice. “We didn’t really need the reading,” said a police spokesman. “There aren’t many sober people who’d do that.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The next pandemic
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week