On Boxing Day 1967, an eccentric film created by and starring the Beatles aired on the BBC, stirring outrage across Britain. Though the music from Magical Mystery Tour is well loved, the film remains little known. But now comes a one-hour documentary that uses archival footage plus interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Martin Scorsese, and others to investigate a colorful chapter in pop-culture history. The original film follows, giving viewers a chance to decide whether it was initially misjudged. Friday, Dec. 14, at 9 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week