n Boxing Day 1967, an eccentric film created by and starring the Beatles aired on the BBC, stirring outrage across Britain. Though the music from Magical Mystery Tour is well loved, the film remains little known. But now comes a one-hour documentary that uses archival footage plus interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Martin Scorsese, and others to investigate a colorful chapter in pop-culture history. The original film follows, giving viewers a chance to decide whether it was initially misjudged. Friday, Dec. 14, at 9 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week