ne day short of his 92nd birthday, jazz pianist Dave Brubeck died on Wednesday from heart failure. His 1959 album Time Out, recorded with the other members of The Dave Brubeck Quartet, helped to popularize jazz for a generation of Americans. During his six-decade career, Brubeck earned honors from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Kennedy Center, and the American Classical Music Hall of Fame.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week