ne day short of his 92nd birthday, jazz pianist Dave Brubeck died on Wednesday from heart failure. His 1959 album Time Out, recorded with the other members of The Dave Brubeck Quartet, helped to popularize jazz for a generation of Americans. During his six-decade career, Brubeck earned honors from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Kennedy Center, and the American Classical Music Hall of Fame.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week