lorida school panics over mercury thermometers
A Florida high school went into lockdown after chemistry students brought thermometers to school. Asked to bring in an element from the periodic table, several students brought in thermometers containing mercury. Alarmed school officials, citing the toxicity of mercury, locked 2,200 students in their classes and summoned a hazmat team. “It’s almost stupid,” said sophomore Kyle Salvaggio.
Helping Sandy victims feel better
A New Jersey tanning salon is giving away free spray tans to victims of Hurricane Sandy. Melissa Kinsman, 31, owner of the East Coast Glo salon, admits that a free spray tan won’t help rebuild homes of people devastated by the storm, but it “could make them feel a little better.” Dozens have accepted her offer. “Everyone has something to give,” said Kinsman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week