lorida school panics over mercury thermometers
A Florida high school went into lockdown after chemistry students brought thermometers to school. Asked to bring in an element from the periodic table, several students brought in thermometers containing mercury. Alarmed school officials, citing the toxicity of mercury, locked 2,200 students in their classes and summoned a hazmat team. “It’s almost stupid,” said sophomore Kyle Salvaggio.
Helping Sandy victims feel better
A New Jersey tanning salon is giving away free spray tans to victims of Hurricane Sandy. Melissa Kinsman, 31, owner of the East Coast Glo salon, admits that a free spray tan won’t help rebuild homes of people devastated by the storm, but it “could make them feel a little better.” Dozens have accepted her offer. “Everyone has something to give,” said Kinsman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week