lorida school panics over mercury thermometers
A Florida high school went into lockdown after chemistry students brought thermometers to school. Asked to bring in an element from the periodic table, several students brought in thermometers containing mercury. Alarmed school officials, citing the toxicity of mercury, locked 2,200 students in their classes and summoned a hazmat team. “It’s almost stupid,” said sophomore Kyle Salvaggio.
Helping Sandy victims feel better
A New Jersey tanning salon is giving away free spray tans to victims of Hurricane Sandy. Melissa Kinsman, 31, owner of the East Coast Glo salon, admits that a free spray tan won’t help rebuild homes of people devastated by the storm, but it “could make them feel a little better.” Dozens have accepted her offer. “Everyone has something to give,” said Kinsman.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- The toughest question for 2016 Democratic presidential candidates
Subscribe to the Week