Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is scheduled to meet with Russia's top diplomat to discuss the worsening Syria crisis. Russia is a key ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The surprise meeting comes as intelligence reports warn that Assad's military has mixed deadly sarin nerve gas and loaded it into bombs that could be used against rebel groups. In Brussels on Wednesday, Clinton reiterated U.S. concerns that "an increasingly desperate Assad regime might turn to chemical weapons," or let them fall into the hands of al Qaeda-linked militants.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Are hedge funds doomed?
Subscribe to the Week