ecretary of State Hillary Clinton is scheduled to meet with Russia's top diplomat to discuss the worsening Syria crisis. Russia is a key ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The surprise meeting comes as intelligence reports warn that Assad's military has mixed deadly sarin nerve gas and loaded it into bombs that could be used against rebel groups. In Brussels on Wednesday, Clinton reiterated U.S. concerns that "an increasingly desperate Assad regime might turn to chemical weapons," or let them fall into the hands of al Qaeda-linked militants.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week