Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is scheduled to meet with Russia's top diplomat to discuss the worsening Syria crisis. Russia is a key ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The surprise meeting comes as intelligence reports warn that Assad's military has mixed deadly sarin nerve gas and loaded it into bombs that could be used against rebel groups. In Brussels on Wednesday, Clinton reiterated U.S. concerns that "an increasingly desperate Assad regime might turn to chemical weapons," or let them fall into the hands of al Qaeda-linked militants.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week