he teaser: The first teaser for Star Trek Into Darkness — the zealously discussed sequel to 2009's Star Trek — has finally arrived, and things are looking grim for Captain Kirk and his crew. "You think your world is safe. It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you," says the new villain played by Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch. "Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance." The teaser, which went live late last night, shows the villain wreaking havoc on Earth, as the horrified Starfleet crew looks on. And in the typical style of director J.J. Abrams, there's a wrinkle to the trailer's release: A Japanese version of the teaser, featuring 12 more seconds of footage that pay homage to one of the most famous scenes in Star Trek history, has fans buzzing about the possible death of a major character. The movie is scheduled to come out in May 2013. Watch both teasers below:
Watch the American version of the teaser:
Watch the Japanese version of the teaser:
The reaction: This teaser is very "dark. And epic," says William Bibbiani at Crave Online. But all the action fails to cover the fact that "we still don't know a damned thing" about this movie — including which classic Star Trek villain Cumberbatch is even playing. Well, that suggests there's "much more at work behind what we're being shown," and "only builds to the anticipation and excitement," says Rob Keyes at ScreenRant. I, for one, have a guess, says Charlie Jane Anders at io9. The teaser may not come out and say the name of Cumberbatch's character, but he is "pretty fricken' wrathful." Khan, anyone?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week