im DeMint, the conservative senator from South Carolina, is stepping down to head up the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. While DeMint had announced that he would not seek a third term in 2016, his move comes as a surprise, and will require South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) to appoint a replacement before a special election is held in 2014. DeMint, a Tea Party favorite, has been a leading figure of the conservative movement, and an occasional thorn in the side of the Republican Party, backing several far-right primary candidates for the Senate that have gone on to lose their general election races.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week