im DeMint, the conservative senator from South Carolina, is stepping down to head up the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. While DeMint had announced that he would not seek a third term in 2016, his move comes as a surprise, and will require South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) to appoint a replacement before a special election is held in 2014. DeMint, a Tea Party favorite, has been a leading figure of the conservative movement, and an occasional thorn in the side of the Republican Party, backing several far-right primary candidates for the Senate that have gone on to lose their general election races.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week