Jim DeMint, the conservative senator from South Carolina, is stepping down to head up the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. While DeMint had announced that he would not seek a third term in 2016, his move comes as a surprise, and will require South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) to appoint a replacement before a special election is held in 2014. DeMint, a Tea Party favorite, has been a leading figure of the conservative movement, and an occasional thorn in the side of the Republican Party, backing several far-right primary candidates for the Senate that have gone on to lose their general election races.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week