On Wednesday night, the 2013 Grammy nominations were announced, with nods going to many of the year's most popular artists, including Taylor Swift, the Black Keys, and Frank Ocean. (Read the full list of nominees at the official Grammy website.) But there's only so much room in each category, which means that a few surprising snubs are all but inevitable each year — and this time was no different. Here, five of the most surprising snubs in the 2013 Grammy nominations:
1. Justin Bieber
Time to stop Beliebing: Justin Bieber's third album, Believe, failed to earn a single nomination. "I just plain DISAGREE [with the snub]," tweeted Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun. "The kid deserved it. Grammy board u blew it on this one."
2. One Direction
While we're on the subject of tween-friendly pop snubs: One Direction, who most had predicted "were a lock for at least a Best New Artist nomination," were disappointed as well, says Chris Willman at The Hollywood Reporter; though the pop group's debut Up All Night is the year's third biggest-selling album, they failed to garner a single nomination.
"Okay, who forgot to nominate Psy for a Grammy?" asks Adam Clark Estes at The Atlantic Wire. The Korean singer's "Gangnam Style" is the most-viewed YouTube video of all time — which may actually have been the problem, since Psy "is getting more credit for the video than the song."
4. Carly Rae Jepsen
The "Call Me Maybe" singer wasn't totally shut out, as she earned an expected Song of the Year nomination for her breakout summer hit. But as Jepsen attempts to prove she's more than a one-hit wonder, her failure to earn a nod for Best New Artist has to sting.
5. Nicki Minaj
The Pink Friday singer managed to earn a single nomination, but it wasn't even for one of her own songs — it was for assisting Alicia Keys on "Girl on Fire." "On top of the very underwhelming sales for Minaj's expanded reissue of her sophomore album, this is not her month," says The Hollywood Reporter.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week