On Wednesday night, the 2013 Grammy nominations were announced, with nods going to many of the year's most popular artists, including Taylor Swift, the Black Keys, and Frank Ocean. (Read the full list of nominees at the official Grammy website.) But there's only so much room in each category, which means that a few surprising snubs are all but inevitable each year — and this time was no different. Here, five of the most surprising snubs in the 2013 Grammy nominations:
1. Justin Bieber
Time to stop Beliebing: Justin Bieber's third album, Believe, failed to earn a single nomination. "I just plain DISAGREE [with the snub]," tweeted Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun. "The kid deserved it. Grammy board u blew it on this one."
2. One Direction
While we're on the subject of tween-friendly pop snubs: One Direction, who most had predicted "were a lock for at least a Best New Artist nomination," were disappointed as well, says Chris Willman at The Hollywood Reporter; though the pop group's debut Up All Night is the year's third biggest-selling album, they failed to garner a single nomination.
"Okay, who forgot to nominate Psy for a Grammy?" asks Adam Clark Estes at The Atlantic Wire. The Korean singer's "Gangnam Style" is the most-viewed YouTube video of all time — which may actually have been the problem, since Psy "is getting more credit for the video than the song."
4. Carly Rae Jepsen
The "Call Me Maybe" singer wasn't totally shut out, as she earned an expected Song of the Year nomination for her breakout summer hit. But as Jepsen attempts to prove she's more than a one-hit wonder, her failure to earn a nod for Best New Artist has to sting.
5. Nicki Minaj
The Pink Friday singer managed to earn a single nomination, but it wasn't even for one of her own songs — it was for assisting Alicia Keys on "Girl on Fire." "On top of the very underwhelming sales for Minaj's expanded reissue of her sophomore album, this is not her month," says The Hollywood Reporter.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week