ant to feel better about your body? Try shopping at the new Spanx store, said Katherine Davis in Businessweek.com. The “problem-solving” women’s underwear brand, famous for its footless, body-shaping pantyhose, has opened its first boutiques in Virginia and Pennsylvania, with a third coming soon to New Jersey. Let Victoria’s Secret sell lingerie “that would look good only on an angel” and makes women feel bad about themselves. Spanx promises to banish such distress from its stores, which feature “cheer squads” and “transformation teams” to greet shoppers. “The sale here isn’t sexiness.” It’s about looking healthy and fit, “even for those who are neither.” Will it work? Possibly, said brand expert Allen Adamson. “Quick fixes work in this space. Anything that promises you’ll look five pounds thinner without having to do the work.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week