ant to feel better about your body? Try shopping at the new Spanx store, said Katherine Davis in Businessweek.com. The “problem-solving” women’s underwear brand, famous for its footless, body-shaping pantyhose, has opened its first boutiques in Virginia and Pennsylvania, with a third coming soon to New Jersey. Let Victoria’s Secret sell lingerie “that would look good only on an angel” and makes women feel bad about themselves. Spanx promises to banish such distress from its stores, which feature “cheer squads” and “transformation teams” to greet shoppers. “The sale here isn’t sexiness.” It’s about looking healthy and fit, “even for those who are neither.” Will it work? Possibly, said brand expert Allen Adamson. “Quick fixes work in this space. Anything that promises you’ll look five pounds thinner without having to do the work.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- How Captain America won over China
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week