ant to feel better about your body? Try shopping at the new Spanx store, said Katherine Davis in Businessweek.com. The “problem-solving” women’s underwear brand, famous for its footless, body-shaping pantyhose, has opened its first boutiques in Virginia and Pennsylvania, with a third coming soon to New Jersey. Let Victoria’s Secret sell lingerie “that would look good only on an angel” and makes women feel bad about themselves. Spanx promises to banish such distress from its stores, which feature “cheer squads” and “transformation teams” to greet shoppers. “The sale here isn’t sexiness.” It’s about looking healthy and fit, “even for those who are neither.” Will it work? Possibly, said brand expert Allen Adamson. “Quick fixes work in this space. Anything that promises you’ll look five pounds thinner without having to do the work.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week