ant to feel better about your body? Try shopping at the new Spanx store, said Katherine Davis in Businessweek.com. The “problem-solving” women’s underwear brand, famous for its footless, body-shaping pantyhose, has opened its first boutiques in Virginia and Pennsylvania, with a third coming soon to New Jersey. Let Victoria’s Secret sell lingerie “that would look good only on an angel” and makes women feel bad about themselves. Spanx promises to banish such distress from its stores, which feature “cheer squads” and “transformation teams” to greet shoppers. “The sale here isn’t sexiness.” It’s about looking healthy and fit, “even for those who are neither.” Will it work? Possibly, said brand expert Allen Adamson. “Quick fixes work in this space. Anything that promises you’ll look five pounds thinner without having to do the work.”
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- 13 countries where gay marriage is legal [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week