eorge Zimmerman filed a lawsuit against NBC News on Thursday, accusing the network of trying to make him sound racist by editing his 911 call the night he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. In NBC's version of the recording, Zimmerman says, seemingly without prompting, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black." NBC edited out the words of the 911 dispatcher, who asked Zimmerman whether the unfamiliar person he was following in his Florida neighborhood was "black, white, or Hispanic." In the suit, Zimmerman says that NBC News saw the case "not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings, and so set about to create the myth that George Zimmerman was a racist and predatory villain." NBC, which fired three people over the matter, denied intentionally portraying Zimmerman unfairly.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week