eorge Zimmerman filed a lawsuit against NBC News on Thursday, accusing the network of trying to make him sound racist by editing his 911 call the night he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. In NBC's version of the recording, Zimmerman says, seemingly without prompting, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black." NBC edited out the words of the 911 dispatcher, who asked Zimmerman whether the unfamiliar person he was following in his Florida neighborhood was "black, white, or Hispanic." In the suit, Zimmerman says that NBC News saw the case "not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings, and so set about to create the myth that George Zimmerman was a racist and predatory villain." NBC, which fired three people over the matter, denied intentionally portraying Zimmerman unfairly.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Why U.S. and British spies have moles in World of Warcraft
Subscribe to the Week