Kate Middleton's private nurse at King Edward VII Hospital, identified by Scotland Yard as Jacintha Saldanha, was found dead Friday of an apparent suicide. On Wednesday morning, Saldanha was pranked by two Australian radio DJs who pretended to be Prince Charles and the Queen seeking info about the Duchess' condition after she was admitted with acute morning sickness due to her recently announced pregnancy. The stunt quickly went viral, and the radio station apologized for the prank. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released a statement saying they were "deeply saddened" by the nurse's death. Saldanha, an employee of the hospital for four years, leaves behind a husband and two children.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week