Kate Middleton's private nurse at King Edward VII Hospital, identified by Scotland Yard as Jacintha Saldanha, was found dead Friday of an apparent suicide. On Wednesday morning, Saldanha was pranked by two Australian radio DJs who pretended to be Prince Charles and the Queen seeking info about the Duchess' condition after she was admitted with acute morning sickness due to her recently announced pregnancy. The stunt quickly went viral, and the radio station apologized for the prank. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released a statement saying they were "deeply saddened" by the nurse's death. Saldanha, an employee of the hospital for four years, leaves behind a husband and two children.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week