The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear challenges to California's ban on same-sex marriages and the Defense of Marriage Act, thrusting the court into the center of the debate over gay rights. The conservative-leaning court is expected to hand down a decision by the end of its term in the summer of 2013.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
Subscribe to the Week