American Airlines on Friday announced that it had reached a new labor contract with the airline's pilots, setting the stage for the company to emerge from bankruptcy. It's widely believed that American Airlines will pursue a merger with US Airways as soon as it has put bankruptcy behind it, part of a years-long trend toward consolidation in the airline industry. American Airlines has already confirmed that it has shared private financial information with US Airways, as both sides explore the possibility of a merger.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 28, 2014
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
Subscribe to the Week