American Airlines on Friday announced that it had reached a new labor contract with the airline's pilots, setting the stage for the company to emerge from bankruptcy. It's widely believed that American Airlines will pursue a merger with US Airways as soon as it has put bankruptcy behind it, part of a years-long trend toward consolidation in the airline industry. American Airlines has already confirmed that it has shared private financial information with US Airways, as both sides explore the possibility of a merger.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
Subscribe to the Week