American Airlines on Friday announced that it had reached a new labor contract with the airline's pilots, setting the stage for the company to emerge from bankruptcy. It's widely believed that American Airlines will pursue a merger with US Airways as soon as it has put bankruptcy behind it, part of a years-long trend toward consolidation in the airline industry. American Airlines has already confirmed that it has shared private financial information with US Airways, as both sides explore the possibility of a merger.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week