The YouTube sensation known as Psy, whose video "Gangnam Style" recently became the most watched clip ever, reportedly once performed an anti-American song in South Korea in 2004, calling for the murder of "fucking Yankees" to protest the U.S. presence in Iraq. Psy also reportedly smashed a miniature "American tank" onstage in 2002 to protest the presence of American troops in South Korea. On Friday, he apologized, saying, "I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world... I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week