resident Obama will again pitch directly to workers his proposal to avoid the looming tax hikes and spending cuts set to hit Jan. 1. After a weekend meeting with House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Obama will visit a union engine plant in Michigan on Monday to explain why he wants higher taxes for the wealthy. Neither the White House nor Boehner's office gave any details about the closed-door meeting. Former White House chief of staff Erskine Bowles says the two have "started to tango" and that there's "a chance to get it done." Republicans have been resistant to raising taxes on the wealthy, however, though they insist that they don't want middle-class tax increases.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week