resident Obama will again pitch directly to workers his proposal to avoid the looming tax hikes and spending cuts set to hit Jan. 1. After a weekend meeting with House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Obama will visit a union engine plant in Michigan on Monday to explain why he wants higher taxes for the wealthy. Neither the White House nor Boehner's office gave any details about the closed-door meeting. Former White House chief of staff Erskine Bowles says the two have "started to tango" and that there's "a chance to get it done." Republicans have been resistant to raising taxes on the wealthy, however, though they insist that they don't want middle-class tax increases.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week