resident Obama will again pitch directly to workers his proposal to avoid the looming tax hikes and spending cuts set to hit Jan. 1. After a weekend meeting with House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Obama will visit a union engine plant in Michigan on Monday to explain why he wants higher taxes for the wealthy. Neither the White House nor Boehner's office gave any details about the closed-door meeting. Former White House chief of staff Erskine Bowles says the two have "started to tango" and that there's "a chance to get it done." Republicans have been resistant to raising taxes on the wealthy, however, though they insist that they don't want middle-class tax increases.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- China's massive pollution problem
- Is it finally time to start paying college athletes?
- How marriage has changed over centuries
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
Subscribe to the Week