According to a person familiar with the decision, the NHL, stuck in a protracted players' lockout, has canceled all games through Dec. 30, adding 104 games to the already canceled 422 regular-season games. The league has also canceled the New Year's Day Winter Classic and the All-Star Game. Negotitations between the NHL and the players' association broke off last week, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said on Sunday that the sides are trying to restart talks this week.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week