According to a person familiar with the decision, the NHL, stuck in a protracted players' lockout, has canceled all games through Dec. 30, adding 104 games to the already canceled 422 regular-season games. The league has also canceled the New Year's Day Winter Classic and the All-Star Game. Negotitations between the NHL and the players' association broke off last week, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said on Sunday that the sides are trying to restart talks this week.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week