Pope Benedict XVI posted his first official tweet to his 660,000 followers on Wednesday. The message read: "Dear friends, I am pleased to get in touch with you through Twitter. Thank you for your generous response. I bless all of you from my heart." The brief note was retweeted more than 9,000 times within 15 minutes, and "favorited" more than 2,500 times. The Vatican announced in early December that the Pope was going to start tweeting to engage more directly with the world's 1-billion-plus Catholics, especially young ones. He's going to be tweeting in several languages, including English and Arabic.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week