ope Benedict XVI posted his first official tweet to his 660,000 followers on Wednesday. The message read: "Dear friends, I am pleased to get in touch with you through Twitter. Thank you for your generous response. I bless all of you from my heart." The brief note was retweeted more than 9,000 times within 15 minutes, and "favorited" more than 2,500 times. The Vatican announced in early December that the Pope was going to start tweeting to engage more directly with the world's 1-billion-plus Catholics, especially young ones. He's going to be tweeting in several languages, including English and Arabic.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
Subscribe to the Week