ope Benedict XVI posted his first official tweet to his 660,000 followers on Wednesday. The message read: "Dear friends, I am pleased to get in touch with you through Twitter. Thank you for your generous response. I bless all of you from my heart." The brief note was retweeted more than 9,000 times within 15 minutes, and "favorited" more than 2,500 times. The Vatican announced in early December that the Pope was going to start tweeting to engage more directly with the world's 1-billion-plus Catholics, especially young ones. He's going to be tweeting in several languages, including English and Arabic.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
Subscribe to the Week