1. Paul McCartney steps in for Kurt Cobain at Hurricane Sandy benefit concert
It's probably safe to say that when most music fans think "grunge," the first name that comes to mind isn't Paul McCartney. But at tonight's Hurricane Sandy benefit concert at Madison Square Garden, the legendary Beatle will come together on stage with Nirvana's Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, reports the New York Daily News. It remains to be seen whether the McCartney/Nirvana collaboration will be bigger than Buddha.
2. Anne Hathaway eloquently answers low-brow Matt Lauer quip
When a paparazzo snapped a picture up Anne Hathaway's dress as she climbed out of a car at the Les Miserables premiere on Monday evening, it was promptly deleted out of respect for her privacy. Just kidding! The picture was printed and widely circulated on Monday, prompting Matt Lauer to quiz Hathaway about it on Wednesday's episode of Today, reports the New York Post. "Seen a lot of you lately," said Lauer, somehow resisting the urge to raise his eyebrows suggestively. "What's the lesson learned?" Hathaway's response: "I'm sorry that we live in a culture that commodifies sexuality of unwilling participants." Point Hathaway.
3. Mick Jagger's love letters sell for $301,000 at auction
If you've ever aspired to own the private letters of Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger, it turns out that you can always get what you want — you just have to spend $301,000 first. Reuters reports that 10 love letters written by Jagger to American singer Marsha Hunt sold for that staggering amount at a Sotheby's auction on Wednesday. Anyone who doesn't have $301,00 to spend on private love letters written by Jagger will have to content themselves with the lyrics to "Wild Horses."
4. Michael Jordan builds state-of-the-art cigar room
In news that retroactively renders the nickname "Air Jordan" ironic, the former NBA superstar is building a "cigar-smoking paradise" at his new $12.4 million Florida estate, says TMZ. Jordan, a cigar aficionado, has reportedly installed special equipment designed to handle massive amounts of cigar smoke in his state-of-the-art home theater. Between the cigars and his legendary NBA career, one thing is certain: Jordan has no shortage of rings.
5. BREAKING: Jessica Simpson eats greasy food
At a meal 10 days ago, Jessica Simpson decided to eat some junk food and skip a glass of wine at a restaurant in Beverly Hills, which can only mean one thing: She's pregnant. "Jessica ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with onion rings," says a source quoted at The Huffington Post in a story that would never, ever be written about a man.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week