ccording to two people familiar with the matter, former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel from Nebraska tops President Obama's list to take over for outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. Hagel, who served as an enlisted army infantryman in Vietnam, could be nominated as soon as this month. He is said to have already passed the White House's vetting process. President Obama invited Hagel to the White House to discuss the position on Dec. 4, according to an administration official. Hagel, who served two terms in Congress, has been a member of the president's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- Is it possible to live forever?
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- Nelson Mandela dead at 95
Subscribe to the Week