ccording to two people familiar with the matter, former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel from Nebraska tops President Obama's list to take over for outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. Hagel, who served as an enlisted army infantryman in Vietnam, could be nominated as soon as this month. He is said to have already passed the White House's vetting process. President Obama invited Hagel to the White House to discuss the position on Dec. 4, according to an administration official. Hagel, who served two terms in Congress, has been a member of the president's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week