The Pentagon has said it will send Patriot air defense missiles and 400 troops to Turkey as part of a NATO effort meant to protect Turkey from a potential Syrian missile attack. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta signed the order on Friday en route to Turkey from Afghanistan. Panetta has not mentioned how soon the missiles will be deployed nor how long they will remain in Turkey.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week