A 36-year-old man was detained on Friday after allegedly wounding 22 Chinese children and a teacher in a knife attack at Chenpeng Village Primary School in Henan province. Initial reports suggest that the suspect is mentally ill. China was hit by a spate of knife and cleaver attacks that targeted school children in 2010. Several measures were introduced at the time, including increased security at schools across the country and a regulation requiring people to register with their national ID cards when buying large knives.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 10 things you need to know today: August 31, 2014
Subscribe to the Week