36-year-old man was detained on Friday after allegedly wounding 22 Chinese children and a teacher in a knife attack at Chenpeng Village Primary School in Henan province. Initial reports suggest that the suspect is mentally ill. China was hit by a spate of knife and cleaver attacks that targeted school children in 2010. Several measures were introduced at the time, including increased security at schools across the country and a regulation requiring people to register with their national ID cards when buying large knives.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week