36-year-old man was detained on Friday after allegedly wounding 22 Chinese children and a teacher in a knife attack at Chenpeng Village Primary School in Henan province. Initial reports suggest that the suspect is mentally ill. China was hit by a spate of knife and cleaver attacks that targeted school children in 2010. Several measures were introduced at the time, including increased security at schools across the country and a regulation requiring people to register with their national ID cards when buying large knives.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week