f the conservative media is to be believed, the United States has been on a steady march toward socialism ever since President Obama took office in January 2009. From ObamaCare to Wall Street regulatory reform, Obama has extended the hand of the state into every corner of the economy, stultifying free enterprise and crushing the American spirit.
Of course, Obama sees himself quite differently. And in a new interview with Univision's affiliate in Miami, Obama claims that most Americans think he's smack-dab in the middle of the ideological spectrum. "The truth of the matter is that my policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican," he said.
Obama's remarks come in the midst of negotiations with the GOP to avert the fiscal cliff. Obama says his position — that the wealthy pay more in taxes — is well within the bounds of capitalist orthodoxy. "What I believe in is a tax system that is fair," he said. "I don't think government can solve every problem. I think that we should make sure that we're helping young people go to school. We should make sure that our government is building good roads and bridges and hospitals and airports so that we have a good infrastructure."
The inescapable subtext of his remarks is that the conservatives have moved so far to the right that they can no longer recognize the center. Conservatives, of course, vehemently disagree. Twitter has already exploded with LOLs and LMAOs of conservatives scoffing at Obama's claim:
And i'd be seen as Brad Pitt. Wow - Obama says he'd be seen as moderate Republican in 1980s - The Hill's On The Money thehill.com/blogs/on-the-m…— thomas holmes (@FOXTom50) December 14, 2012
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Marco Rubio wants his conservative cred back
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
Subscribe to the Week