According to the Associated Press, 27 people, including 18 children, have been killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom. The person who is believed to be the shooter is reportedly dead. Around noon, the triage area outside of the school was broken down and a SWAT team left the building. School and local emergency officials are accounting for the surviving children, who will be released to their parents to get them home. An entire classroom is reportedly still unaccounted for.
Get live updates here.
See NBC's live footage here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week