ccording to the Associated Press, 27 people, including 18 children, have been killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom. The person who is believed to be the shooter is reportedly dead. Around noon, the triage area outside of the school was broken down and a SWAT team left the building. School and local emergency officials are accounting for the surviving children, who will be released to their parents to get them home. An entire classroom is reportedly still unaccounted for.
Get live updates here.
See NBC's live footage here.
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are Democrats backing the GOP into another government shutdown?
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
Subscribe to the Week