According to the Associated Press, 27 people, including 18 children, have been killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom. The person who is believed to be the shooter is reportedly dead. Around noon, the triage area outside of the school was broken down and a SWAT team left the building. School and local emergency officials are accounting for the surviving children, who will be released to their parents to get them home. An entire classroom is reportedly still unaccounted for.
Get live updates here.
See NBC's live footage here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week