According to the Associated Press, 27 people, including 18 children, have been killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom. The person who is believed to be the shooter is reportedly dead. Around noon, the triage area outside of the school was broken down and a SWAT team left the building. School and local emergency officials are accounting for the surviving children, who will be released to their parents to get them home. An entire classroom is reportedly still unaccounted for.
Get live updates here.
See NBC's live footage here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
Subscribe to the Week