According to the Associated Press, 27 people, including 18 children, have been killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom. The person who is believed to be the shooter is reportedly dead. Around noon, the triage area outside of the school was broken down and a SWAT team left the building. School and local emergency officials are accounting for the surviving children, who will be released to their parents to get them home. An entire classroom is reportedly still unaccounted for.
Get live updates here.
See NBC's live footage here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mechanized future of warfare
Subscribe to the Week