Shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, a shooting at The Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. left multiple people dead, including several children. The suspected gunman, described as a man in his early 20s, has also been confirmed dead. Accounts of how many people have been shot and killed vary, but CNN is reporting that between 18 and 20 children are among the victims. The reports are rolling in through social media:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week