Shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, a shooting at The Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. left multiple people dead, including several children. The suspected gunman, described as a man in his early 20s, has also been confirmed dead. Accounts of how many people have been shot and killed vary, but CNN is reporting that between 18 and 20 children are among the victims. The reports are rolling in through social media:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week