hortly after 9 a.m. on an otherwise uneventful day in Newtown, Conn., a gunman entered a kindergarten classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School, beginning a rampage that has reportedly left as many as 27 people dead, 18 of whom are children. The shooter is reportedly dead, but police continue to scour the rural terrain and keep nearby schools on lockdown. As this horrifying story continues to unfold, here are a look at some heartbreaking photos of children evacuating, families reuniting, and loved ones in waiting:
A woman waits to hear about her sister, a teacher, following the shooting. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Families of victims hug one another outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A grieving family leaves a firehouse staging area near the school. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Young children wait outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Family members embrace. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A young, coatless girl is draped in a blanket after being evacuated. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Police lead children away from the school on Friday morning. (Photo: AP Photo/Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
Subscribe to the Week