hortly after 9 a.m. on an otherwise uneventful day in Newtown, Conn., a gunman entered a kindergarten classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School, beginning a rampage that has reportedly left as many as 27 people dead, 18 of whom are children. The shooter is reportedly dead, but police continue to scour the rural terrain and keep nearby schools on lockdown. As this horrifying story continues to unfold, here are a look at some heartbreaking photos of children evacuating, families reuniting, and loved ones in waiting:
A woman waits to hear about her sister, a teacher, following the shooting. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Families of victims hug one another outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A grieving family leaves a firehouse staging area near the school. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Young children wait outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Family members embrace. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A young, coatless girl is draped in a blanket after being evacuated. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Police lead children away from the school on Friday morning. (Photo: AP Photo/Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week