hortly after 9 a.m. on an otherwise uneventful day in Newtown, Conn., a gunman entered a kindergarten classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School, beginning a rampage that has reportedly left as many as 27 people dead, 18 of whom are children. The shooter is reportedly dead, but police continue to scour the rural terrain and keep nearby schools on lockdown. As this horrifying story continues to unfold, here are a look at some heartbreaking photos of children evacuating, families reuniting, and loved ones in waiting:
A woman waits to hear about her sister, a teacher, following the shooting. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Families of victims hug one another outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A grieving family leaves a firehouse staging area near the school. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Young children wait outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Family members embrace. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A young, coatless girl is draped in a blanket after being evacuated. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Police lead children away from the school on Friday morning. (Photo: AP Photo/Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week