Shortly after 9 a.m. on an otherwise uneventful day in Newtown, Conn., a gunman entered a kindergarten classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School, beginning a rampage that has reportedly left as many as 27 people dead, 18 of whom are children. The shooter is reportedly dead, but police continue to scour the rural terrain and keep nearby schools on lockdown. As this horrifying story continues to unfold, here are a look at some heartbreaking photos of children evacuating, families reuniting, and loved ones in waiting:
A woman waits to hear about her sister, a teacher, following the shooting. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Families of victims hug one another outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A grieving family leaves a firehouse staging area near the school. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Young children wait outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Family members embrace. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A young, coatless girl is draped in a blanket after being evacuated. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Police lead children away from the school on Friday morning. (Photo: AP Photo/Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- WATCH: Australia's army chief demonstrates how you address sex abuse
Subscribe to the Week