hortly after 9 a.m. on an otherwise uneventful day in Newtown, Conn., a gunman entered a kindergarten classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School, beginning a rampage that has reportedly left as many as 27 people dead, 18 of whom are children. The shooter is reportedly dead, but police continue to scour the rural terrain and keep nearby schools on lockdown. As this horrifying story continues to unfold, here are a look at some heartbreaking photos of children evacuating, families reuniting, and loved ones in waiting:
A woman waits to hear about her sister, a teacher, following the shooting. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Families of victims hug one another outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A grieving family leaves a firehouse staging area near the school. (Photo: AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Young children wait outside the school. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Family members embrace. (Photo: REUTERS/Adrees Latif)
A young, coatless girl is draped in a blanket after being evacuated. (Photo: REUTERS/Michelle McLoughlin)
Police lead children away from the school on Friday morning. (Photo: AP Photo/Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week