UPDATE: President Obama has finished speaking. See video of his remarks here.
The Associated Press reports that 27 people, including 18 children, were killed on Friday morning in a school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. The suspect, who was found dead at the scene, has been identified by CNN as 24-year-old Ryan Lanza. President Obama will address the shooting from the White House at 3:15 p.m. Watch live:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week