Ryan Lanza, 24, has been identified as the suspected gunman who opened fire in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday morning, allegedly killing his mother, a teacher there, and 26 others — 18 of whom were children ranging in age from 5 to 10. Lanza was found dead inside the school. A dead body was reportedly also found in Lanza's New Jersey home. Sources told ABC News that Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bulletproof vest. The Newtown shooting is the second worst mass shooting in U.S. history, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007 when 32 were killed before the shooter turned the gun on himself. The Connecticut shooting also comes three days after a masked gunman opened fire in a suburban Portland, Ore., mall killing two people and himself.
Read eyewitness accounts from the scene in Newtown here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week