yan Lanza, 24, has been identified as the suspected gunman who opened fire in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday morning, allegedly killing his mother, a teacher there, and 26 others — 18 of whom were children ranging in age from 5 to 10. Lanza was found dead inside the school. A dead body was reportedly also found in Lanza's New Jersey home. Sources told ABC News that Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bulletproof vest. The Newtown shooting is the second worst mass shooting in U.S. history, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007 when 32 were killed before the shooter turned the gun on himself. The Connecticut shooting also comes three days after a masked gunman opened fire in a suburban Portland, Ore., mall killing two people and himself.
Read eyewitness accounts from the scene in Newtown here.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Making money: Bargain-hunting tips, and more
- How to dramatically improve your memory
Subscribe to the Week