yan Lanza, 24, has been identified as the suspected gunman who opened fire in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday morning, allegedly killing his mother, a teacher there, and 26 others — 18 of whom were children ranging in age from 5 to 10. Lanza was found dead inside the school. A dead body was reportedly also found in Lanza's New Jersey home. Sources told ABC News that Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bulletproof vest. The Newtown shooting is the second worst mass shooting in U.S. history, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007 when 32 were killed before the shooter turned the gun on himself. The Connecticut shooting also comes three days after a masked gunman opened fire in a suburban Portland, Ore., mall killing two people and himself.
Read eyewitness accounts from the scene in Newtown here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- When will the Big One strike California?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week