Law enforcement officials have confirmed that 20 children were killed Friday by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The original death count of 18 was revised after two additional children died from their wounds in the hospital. The number of adults killed was six, or seven if you include the shooter, who was found dead at the scene. News organizations have identified 20-year-old Adam Lanza as the suspected gunman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week