1. Channing Tatum is having a baby
In a year that's seen Channing Tatum play everyone from an undercover high-schooler to a male stripper, he can add one more role to the list: expectant father. Tatum and wife Jenna Dewan-Tatum have a baby on the way, reports E! Online, adding disconcertingly that Dewan-Tatum is sporting the "sexiest baby bump alive!" A due date hasn't been announced, but the couple expects the child, who will undoubtedly grow up to be mortified by dad's performance in Magic Mike, to arrive sometime next year.
2. Justin Bieber's hamster is doing just fine, thanks for asking
When Justin Bieber inexplicably decided to give his pet hamster to a random fan after a recent concert in Atlanta, some fretted that he was being irresponsible. But never fear, says Tori, the 18-year-old Belieber who Bieber bestowed the fuzzball upon: The hamster is in "great hands." TMZ reports that the fan is more than happy to step up as primary caretaker of Bieber's hamster, who the pop star named PAC — though it remains unclear if Bieber selected the unusual moniker as a hardcore Pac-Man fan, a Tupac aficionado, or a dedicated supporter of political action committees.
3. Michael Bay refutes Transformers 4 script leak rumors
Lovers of terrible action movies were thrilled by rumors that the script to the upcoming Transformers 4 had been leaked to the internet, offering an early glimpse at the sequel — but director Michael Bay insists they're mistaken. "WRONG!" says Bay at Entertainment Weekly. "The only two people in the world that have our finished script are [cowriter Ehren] Kruger and myself." In the meantime, Transformers fans will have to keep waiting for the real script, which presumably consists of two hours of nonstop explosions and pretty girls bending over car hoods.
4. Kanye West thinks Kim Kardashian might be hurting his music career
Kanye West probably should have been prepared for the fact that hooking up with Kim Kardashian, whose every waking moment is obsessively documented by both the paparazzi and her own reality shows, might take away from his own spotlight a little bit. And now, West may be growing increasingly worried that his love life is hurting his reputation as an artist, reports the New York Daily News. "His personal life is overpowering his music," says a source.
5. Jackie Chan might star in The Expendables 3
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme… At this point, it might be easier to make a list of the B-list action stars who haven't appeared in Sylvester Stallone's ongoing Expendables franchise. But The Huffington Post reports that Stallone might be poised to cross yet another name off of his co-star bucket list: Jackie Chan. The Rush Hour star told Stallone he'd be willing to appear in a possible third Expendables movie if he was guaranteed "more than just a minor role with a few scenes." Could a Best Actor Oscar be in his future?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
Subscribe to the Week