Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: What headline can we be certain not to see in 2013?
THE WINNER: Justice Scalia Writes Majority Opinion Upholding Gay Marriage
Lowell Markey, Rehoboth Beach, Del.
SECOND PLACE: World Ignores Birth of Kate Middleton's Baby
Charlie & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
THIRD PLACE: President Gingrich Lands on Mars
Jim Carling, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Budget Balanced, Debt Crisis Resolved, Congress Recesses for Summer
Alice Smith, Bella Vista, Ariz.
"Fiscal Cliff" Most Common Baby Name of 2013
Angela James, Westminster, Md.
Cubs Win World Series
Paul Binder, Bellevue, Wash.
Gaza and Tel Aviv Declare Sister City Status
Richard Koretz, La Quinta, Calif.
Grover Norquist Releases Signers From "No Tax Increase" Pledge
Dick Adler, Lecanto, Fla.
George Clooney Weds
Stephanie Sarich, Minnetonka, Minn.
Democrats and Republicans Agree to Balanced Budget
Robert Jauregui, Santa Barbara, Calif.
Obama Pleads with Senate to Cut Entitlement Spending by 25 Percent
Tom Kauffman, York, Pa.
Romney Opens Campaign Headquarters in Des Moines
Bob Simmonds, Watertown, N.Y.
Bill O'Reilly Abandons Battle Against the "War on Christmas"
Robert Bickmeyer, Troy, Mich.
Use of Electronic Games and Gadgets Drops by 80 Percent
Arnold Lazarus, Princeton, N.J.
Harry Reid Wins Sexiest Man Title
Paul Binder, Bellevue, Wash.
Assad Granted Asylum in Israel
Edith Rubin, La Jolla, Calif.
Rolling Stones Announce Farewell Tour
Linda Boskovic, Glen Ellyn, Ill.
Congress Passes Budget on Time
Ronald Winter, San Leandro, Calif.
Obama Names Romney Secretary of Labor
Frank McGowan, The Villages, Fla.
Leno Replaces Conan on TBS
Steve Robinson, The Villages, Fla.
Advancing Glaciers Threaten New Ice Age
Jerri-Anne Barkha McDermith, Summersville, Mo.
Congress Gets Record Approval Ratings
Kathy El-Assal, Middleton, Wis.
Iran Agrees to Scrap Nuclear Program
Roger Bauer, Eau Claire, Wis.
Conservatives & Conservationists Unite to Form Green Tea Party
Steve Zolotow, Las Vegas
Polls Show American People Eagerly Awaiting 2016 Presidential Campaign
Jan Lamprey, Worthington, Ohio
NRA Urges Stronger Gun Control
Dan Hall, East Greenville, Pa.
Kardashian Family Retires From Public Life
Lisa Goldman, Flushing, N.Y.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week