From political doomsday ditties to futuristic imaginings of the apocalypse, musicians have long been penning songs for the end of days. With yet another doomsday forecast targeting Dec. 21 as the big kick-off date, shall we, in the immortal words of Britney Spears, "dance 'til the world ends"? Whether you'd prefer to brood about The End with the Doors, recklessly sip Jack with Ke$ha, or slow dance your way to impending doom with Aerosmith, here is The Week's first (and perhaps last) playlist of classic songs about the end of the world:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Obama's next steps on immigration
Subscribe to the Week