From political doomsday ditties to futuristic imaginings of the apocalypse, musicians have long been penning songs for the end of days. With yet another doomsday forecast targeting Dec. 21 as the big kick-off date, shall we, in the immortal words of Britney Spears, "dance 'til the world ends"? Whether you'd prefer to brood about The End with the Doors, recklessly sip Jack with Ke$ha, or slow dance your way to impending doom with Aerosmith, here is The Week's first (and perhaps last) playlist of classic songs about the end of the world:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week