From political doomsday ditties to futuristic imaginings of the apocalypse, musicians have long been penning songs for the end of days. With yet another doomsday forecast targeting Dec. 21 as the big kick-off date, shall we, in the immortal words of Britney Spears, "dance 'til the world ends"? Whether you'd prefer to brood about The End with the Doors, recklessly sip Jack with Ke$ha, or slow dance your way to impending doom with Aerosmith, here is The Week's first (and perhaps last) playlist of classic songs about the end of the world:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
When Americans banned Christmas
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- It ain't easy being green in the world's most polluted city
Subscribe to the Week