From political doomsday ditties to futuristic imaginings of the apocalypse, musicians have long been penning songs for the end of days. With yet another doomsday forecast targeting Dec. 21 as the big kick-off date, shall we, in the immortal words of Britney Spears, "dance 'til the world ends"? Whether you'd prefer to brood about The End with the Doors, recklessly sip Jack with Ke$ha, or slow dance your way to impending doom with Aerosmith, here is The Week's first (and perhaps last) playlist of classic songs about the end of the world:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week