What better way to spread Christmas cheer than with a heartbreaking tale of monarchy, poverty, and failed rebellion in 19th-century France, right? Well, that actually does sound like an ideal Christmas for thousands upon thousands of Les Miserables fans. And as they eagerly await the Christmas-day opening of Tom Hooper's celebrated film adaptation of Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg's massively successful musical — which is an adaptation of Victor Hugo's epic 1862 novel — here's a by-the-numbers look at the musical's enduring popularity:
Countries that have staged productions of Les Mis
More than 300
Cities where Les Mis has been staged
Languages Les Miserables has been translated into
More than 40
Cast recordings of Les Mis
Costumes used in a single performance
Wigs used in each performance
Broadway performances of Les Miserables, making it the third-longest running Broadway show in history, behind Cats and Phantom of the Opera
More than 47,000
Professional performances of the show
YouTube views as of Monday morning of Susan Boyle's viral Britain's Got Talent performance of the Les Mis ballad "I Dreamed A Dream." The 2009 performance catapulted her to international fame, and was even credited with increasing demand for Les Mis tickets at London's West End.
People who have seen a stage production of Les Mis
Rank on Amazon's bestseller list of the paperback version of Victor Hugo's novel
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week