Insults have been flying around Congress with increasing ferocity of late. First, Rep. Steve LaTourette (R-Ohio) accused members of the Senate of being a bunch of "sleep-deprived octogenarians." Then it was reported that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) had told Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to go f--- himself. And now Peter King, a Republican congressman from New York, has gone on an epic tirade against members of his own party for failing to pass a Senate package that would provide $60 billion in relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy. "Anyone from New York or New Jersey who contributes one penny to the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee should have their head examined," he raved to CNN. "It was absolutely disgraceful."
He went on, "People in my party, they wonder why they're becoming a minority party."
And on, "They're going to have a hard time getting my vote, I can tell you that."
And on, "Turning your back on people who are starving and freezing is not a Republican value."
King, the influential chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, even declined to rule out whether he would consider becoming a Democrat.
The Senate has already passed a $60 billion aid package with bipartisan support, but Republicans in the House balked at the price tag. The 112th Congress is expected to adjourn on Thursday without having passed any relief legislation, which means a new bill will have to be drafted and any aid will be delayed.
Update: President Obama has weighed in on the GOP's inaction, calling on the House to pass Sandy aid "without delay for our fellow Americans." New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) was also harshly critical of the House:
When American citizens are in need we come to their aid. That tradition was abandoned in the House last night. #SandyBill— Governor Christie (@GovChristie) January 2, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week