Jose Canseco, the former Major League Baseball player, is probably most famous for freely admitting to using a lot of performance-enhancing drugs, which in the age of Lance Armstrong almost seems like an act of courage. But he has also established himself as one of the more entertaining spectacles on Twitter, spitting out a stream of bizarre koans that sometimes rise to the level of surrealist art. (e.g., "al gore was a head of his time. i miss him rest in peace buddy hug for u") He has recently focused his attention on politics, offering up commentary that somehow manages to both confuse and inspire. Here, a sampling of Canseco's best political tweets, which sometimes carry the Obama-inspired hashtag #yeswecanseco:
On partisan gridlock:
Leftwing and rightwing politicians fail because you need both wings to fly otherwise you are headed for a trainwreck#yeswecanseco— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) January 7, 2013
I will go to washington and slap all politicians if they dont fix the fiscal cliff.They are haters of America and deserve it. Here I come— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) December 31, 2012
On his political ambitions:
Thank you for your support but i cant run for president because I was born in Cuba not hawaii— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) December 31, 2012
Need exact guidelines of what I need to run for Toronto mayor and how long it takes to claim residency. #yeswecanseco— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) January 4, 2013
6.Get elected to a important political office in the U.S. or canada to help all people and governments with there problems— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) January 2, 2013
On the policies:
first replace income tax with spending tax.we didnt even have income tax until it was to fund civil war and was to be temporary for us— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) December 31, 2012
second bring our boys back from central east.Military spendng in sandy nations is crazy we can use that monedy for schools here save $B— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) December 31, 2012
3rd make all elected politician jobs volunteer with no pay.They get plenty of perks and book deals and power they should be paying us— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) December 31, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week