Piers Morgan may have gotten more than he bargained for Monday night. The host of CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight invited radio host Alex Jones, the man behind a White House petition to have Morgan deported back to the United Kingdom, onto his show to have a conversation about Second Amendment gun rights. Morgan has been a vocal supporter of a nationwide ban on military style semi-automatic assault weapons, and Jones says he wants Morgan deported "for his effort to undermine the Bill of Rights and for exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens."
What started with a simple question from Morgan ("Why do you want to deport me?") quickly escalated into a heated tirade from Jones, punctuated by lots of finger-pointing and fist-shaking. When Morgan tried to interrupt, Jones hollered, "1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms!” He went on to mock the host's British accent and, at one point, invited Morgan to a face him in a boxing match. Oh, and there was this:
You have hoards of people burning down cities and beating old women's brains out everyday. They arrest people in England if they defend themselves, that’s on record. My God, you have a total police state. Everybody is fleeing the country because — you’ve had to flee, bud. Yeah, you fled here. Why don’t you go back and face the charges for the hacking scandal?
"That's a ridiculous statement," Morgan responded.
Watch the first part of the interview above. And check out the second part here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How I became a borderline hoarder
Subscribe to the Week