elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Last week's contest: Now that the U.S. is no longer on the edge of the fiscal cliff, we asked you to come up with another phrase to describe where we are as a nation.
THE WINNER: Debt Valley
James Kennedy, Shreveport, La.
SECOND PLACE: Between a rock and Congress
James White, Casa Grande, Ariz.
THIRD PLACE: Six feet under
Tish Packman, Dunedin, Fla.
In the valley of the shadow of debt
Barbara Arnstein, Whitestone, N.Y.
Valley of the Dollars
Debra Nemchek, Stamford, Conn.
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, Tenn.
Chris Shean, Seal Beach, Calif.
Bipartisan black hole
Jack Devilbiss, Silver Spring, Md.
James Smith, Mill Valley, Calif.
Broke Dollar-backed Mountain
Cyrus Taraporevala, South Hamilton, Mass.
Tony Stieritz, Cincinnati
Elizabeth Procter-Gray, Webster, Mass.
On a bridge to nowhere
Mary deWolf, Crossville, Tenn.
Ground 16 Zeroes
Fred Moreno, Westbury, N.Y.
Up the Potomac without a paddle
Norm Vance, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Post Dramatic Press Syndrome
Alma Cunningham, Charlottesville, Va.
The Mountain of Debt
Bob Meyer, Kimbolton, Ohio
Debtor's Canyon (D.C.)
Jim Haviland, Thief River Falls, Minn.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week