Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Last week's contest: Now that the U.S. is no longer on the edge of the fiscal cliff, we asked you to come up with another phrase to describe where we are as a nation.
THE WINNER: Debt Valley
James Kennedy, Shreveport, La.
SECOND PLACE: Between a rock and Congress
James White, Casa Grande, Ariz.
THIRD PLACE: Six feet under
Tish Packman, Dunedin, Fla.
In the valley of the shadow of debt
Barbara Arnstein, Whitestone, N.Y.
Valley of the Dollars
Debra Nemchek, Stamford, Conn.
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, Tenn.
Chris Shean, Seal Beach, Calif.
Bipartisan black hole
Jack Devilbiss, Silver Spring, Md.
James Smith, Mill Valley, Calif.
Broke Dollar-backed Mountain
Cyrus Taraporevala, South Hamilton, Mass.
Tony Stieritz, Cincinnati
Elizabeth Procter-Gray, Webster, Mass.
On a bridge to nowhere
Mary deWolf, Crossville, Tenn.
Ground 16 Zeroes
Fred Moreno, Westbury, N.Y.
Up the Potomac without a paddle
Norm Vance, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Post Dramatic Press Syndrome
Alma Cunningham, Charlottesville, Va.
The Mountain of Debt
Bob Meyer, Kimbolton, Ohio
Debtor's Canyon (D.C.)
Jim Haviland, Thief River Falls, Minn.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week