1. In 2001, Elizabeth Taylor forgot that before you can announce the winner, you have to list the nominees. After she began fumbling with the envelope prior to reading off any of the Best Motion Picture — Drama contenders, Dick Clark (whose production company put the show on) raced onstage before Liz could reveal the winner and ruin all the suspense. After getting things back on track, Taylor had some fun when she — jokingly? — said, "And the winner is... it's flashing 'envelope'…" That whole scene probably aged America's Oldest Teenager a few years.
2. Anyone who checked the Golden Globes website a few days before the 2009 ceremony saw a tiny asterisk next to Anne Hathaway's name, denoting that she was the Best Actress in a Drama winner for Rachel Getting Married. But alas, this technical glitch wasn't a prophecy, and the award instead went to Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road. Things got even weirder when Winslet, during an extraordinarily long acceptance speech, breathlessly — and painfully — started listing the names of her fellow nominees, with the exception of one that just couldn't come to mind… and who could blame her? It's not like Angelina Jolie is a household name or anything.
3. Who wants to make a bet that Andrew Garfield has never had trouble saying "inspiringly" since he stumbled over the word in 2011?
4. Christine Lahti taught us all a lesson in 1998: No matter how many glasses of champagne you've downed, wait until after your category has been awarded before going to the bathroom. Otherwise, you'll confuse Michael J. Fox, and Robin Williams will show up and start rambling in Spanish.
5. After winning Best Actress in a Drama for Black Swan, Natalie Portman started her 2011 acceptance speech by graciously thanking her parents for their love and support, as well as for bringing her into the world. But it quickly veered into awkward territory when she pointed out that she, too, was continuing the circle of life by having a baby with the movie's choreographer, Benjamin Millepied, who also played a bit role as a dancer who noted he would never sleep with Portman's character. "He's the best actor! It's not true, he totally wants to sleep with me!" she exclaimed before unleashing a laugh that was two parts stoner, one part hyena, with a dash of Beavis and Butthead for good measure. (The laugh comes around the 1:50 mark.)
6. Apparently, fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi missed the memo in 2006 that the red carpet is not an appropriate place to grope a woman (namely Scarlett Johansson), even if it is under the guise of "taking notes" for a future dress. "What is going on?" Johansson squealed. (The uncomfortable contact comes around the 1:25 mark.)
7. Remember in 2010, when Encino Man learned how to clap?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week