Jennifer Lawrence, the 22-year-old star of blockbuster film The Hunger Games, caused a bit of controversy at the Golden Globes ceremony on Sunday night, when she went onstage to accept her award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for her role in Silver Linings Playbook. Lawrence seemed to show a lack of respect for a fellow nominee in the category — and not to mention veteran actress — Meryl Streep. "What does it say?" Lawrence asked as she took hold of her new trophy. "I beat Meryl," she seemed to say in a haughty voice not becoming of a relative Hollywood newcomer. But, alas, the young whipper-snapper meant no harm, as she explained to David Letterman on Tuesday: It was just a quote from a movie most people probably haven't seen since it was released in 1996.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The next pandemic
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week